On Aug 29, 2005, at 9:50 AM, keithw wrote:

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

For higher end cars and SUVs, a V8 engine is a big plus in US auto marketing. It has little to do with actual performance needs (although for some vehicles, added torque and smoothness of a larger displacement V8 helps) but the US auto market has a long history of favoring the V8 engine configuration. I would love to see Alfa Romeo return to this market and be successful. I'd hate to see them return and become a niche market flop due to the same lack of understanding of the US that caused them to pull out in the first place.

You got that one wrong, Godfrey.
It was the U.S. Government that sank Alfa in this country.
You know, the obeisance to Federal Auto Pollution Standards.
Hang-on, add-on compliance crap that crippled an engine and a car's performance. At that time, Alfa didn't like their sporting image destroyed, so they said the heck with it. In addition to which, adhering to US Gov't regulations was not only quite costly, but it made their otherwise world class flexible and nimble cars run like crap, so that was it...

I disagree.

Alfa Romeo put a tremendous amount of effort into meeting the US specs post-1968 and did a very good job of it with the SPICA mechanical fuel injection on the old four cylinder engine. Over the next decade or so, unlike most other manufacturers, they didn't advance their engine technology much and the performance declined, particularly with respect to the antique but delightful old Spider engine. The Spider chassis and body, designed in 1965, was simply unable to be brought to compliance with modern requirements in crash protection, and expected levels of interior luxury, without adding a lot of weight too, which cut performance even further. They needed a much more aggressive engine/chassis development effort. The Spider engine and chassis, even in 1966, was really almost 10 years old in basic design already.

The release of the transaxle Alfetta chassis and, later, the V6 in the Alfetta GT and Milano, then the FWD 164 sedans in the mid-late 1980s, produced a competitive automobile, technically, but more and more of the focus for success in the US has been on the quality of the dealer network and overall reliability. There, on both counts, Alfa Romeo fell down consistently compared to BMW, Mercedes, and other marques that they were competing against (not to mention Toyota, Nissan, etc). With such a track record and continual money management problems back at home, and the buyout by FIAT, their position in the US market eroded to an obscure niche. It's as if Alfa Romeo and then FIAT just didn't 'get' the US market's points of focus, or simply weren't interested enough to care.

To place the blame for their failure here purely on US governmental intrusion, which I agree was more than just heavy handed, isn't truly fair. Alfa Romeo, like several other Italian vehicle marques I'm very well acquainted with, were doing a good job of putting themself out of business by poor business management practices even before the US emissions regulations went in. Other manufacturers who had to meet the same regulations, who took the US market seriously and adapted to it well, who ran their Business more successfully, did much better. European regulations today are not that much different from US regulations (they differ a lot in details, but not in overall requirements ... and in some senses, the EU regulations are more constrictive than US regulations) so the measure of whether a marque is going to be successful in the US is more contingent upon how much the automaker wants to succeed in this market along with how well they read the real requirements (MARKETING needs!!) and how much money they put on the table to make it happen.

Modern Alfas are wonderful: I've rented the 146, 156 and 149 on occasion when I've been in the UK or Europe, they are wonderful to drive and have every bit of the joy that my fondly remembered Guilietta, Spider 1750, Spider 2000 and others have had.

They work a heck of a lot better too, dammit. I want one.

Godfrey

PS: Same goes for Citroëns. I had the pleasure of using a cheesy little Citroën Berlingo with a turbo diesel while I was visiting the Isle of Man this summer. I *wish* I could get a practical, roomy and economical little slug like that here that wasn't also a bloated monster. The Berlingo was quick enough, economical enough, comfortable enough and fit well even with the tiny village streets on the Isle. My friend who owns is has been very pleased with the minimal service it's needed too. But if Citroën and FIAT and Peugeot and all the others don't see a profit incentive compelling enough to care, or just feel they have all they can handle in their current markets, they don't make it here.