Problem with US emissions controls isn't so much that they mandated efficiency and emissions levels. They also mandated the technical solutions. This of course kept any car that could meet standards without those mandated solution off the roads.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Then I assume you are opposed to emission standards? Except for third-world
countries, standards are basically universal today. The US initiated emission
control but it soon became a fact of life for all automakers. Today's engines
are more powerful and more efficient than any pre-control engines. If you doubt
that, just look at the numbers.
Paul

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Of course every maker who sold cars in the US had to comply with
emission standards. Those with the best powerplant engineering, Honda
for example, were able to meet the standards without crippling their
engines. I was an automotive journalist in the early eighties and
recall attending an event to mark Alfa's return to the US market.
They made a lot of mistakes at almost every turn. These included
horrible PR, confused product launches, and an incompetent dealer
network. Blaming the US government is silly. Paul
But accurate.
On both accounts.
I don't dispute Alfa's inept handling of it all, right down te line, but quite literally the straw that broke the camel's back came from the U.S. Government.

keith

--
When you're worried or in doubt, Run in circles, (scream and shout).