Boris Liberman wrote:

What focusing distance do you think most lenses are optimised for?

I think that at distances such as 5m or even closer the precision of
focusing becomes much more important. In fact, having no special
knowledge I cannot answer your question. I  am under (probably wrong)
impression that my lenses perform equally well on all valid distances.

Although I did notice that many times working on shorter distances AF
mistakes (either by camera or by me) are more apparent.

Boris, I agree with you (and I discussed this tipic in the past).
However, this is another problem. My question deals with properly focused lenses.
See my reply to Bob Shell.

Dario