Simple. Prosumer P&S's are noisy, slow and have low ISO limits. These are what is pushing this market into DSLR's.

Digital fueled a huge boom in the pool of photographers, everybody's shooting again. Get enough people shooting and some are going to want more. I doubt the percentage of SLR users is much higher than it was in the mid-80's, but the pool of photographers is much larger than it was 5 years ago.

There simply aren't enough film SLR users out there to drive the sales numbers Nikon and Canon are seeing. Remember that the low-end Nikons and Rebels are selling around 100,000 units a month. You think there are enough film SLR users out there to drive 200,000 units a month in sales (About 50% of the low end market in Nikon and Canon alone, postulating 100,000 units a month by 4 major models). I certainly don't. I'd suspect the fraction of former film users Pentax gets is higher, but that is mostly due to Pentax's cult status in the SLR market, it simply doesn't have the name Canon and Nikon do in the consumer market.

4 years ago you barely saw an SLR on the street anymore. Now I see them every day. And they're almost always digital.

-Adam

J. C. O'Connell wrote:

Look I understand that film slrs are virtually history
now and there wont be any more film SLR buyers but I don't
think we are at the point where more DSLRS are being bought
by first time SLRS users than former SLR users. With P&S
being so popular in the 80's and 90's film era, what has
changed to make the mass market want to switch BACK to DSLR
instead of P&S digicams? I don't see it. I still feel
that more DSLRS are bought by former SLR owners. Until
you can show me some sources that show otherwise I simply
wont cant see it but I am willing to see...SLRS fell out of
mainstream about 15-20 years ago and I cant see the masses
rushing back to them just because there's now digital ones
available..
JCO