P. J. Alling wrote:

I think you're wrong on this, it is a new issue. The Cameras that didn't have full support were bottom of the line. They were destined to be sold to people who were never going to use anything other than the kit lens, basically a glorified P&S camera.

And it's an 8 year old issue, not a new issue.

I agree with Adam. It's not a new issue. I was rather annoyed when the crippled mount first appeared because I saw it as the beginning of the process. Pentax was now making bodies that I would not buy because they could not use my Pentax lenses. Similarly when Pentax produced lenses without aperture rings. Here were some new lenses that could not be used on existing bodies (including the ZX-5n, which was current). So, to me, when they came up with a crippled-mount DSLR I was disappointed but I certainly did not think it was anything *new* -- it was the continuation of a process already begun. Bottom of the line cameras aren't only for the "idiot novices" but also potentially backup bodies for the more "advanced" users, and Pentax marketing had remarked on that in selling earlier generations of such cameras. The crippled-mount bottom-of-the-line bodies were not suitable for that use, so in that way could be seen as breaking faith with those people. As I commented above, they were bodies that I could not even consider purchasing -- either as backup bodies for my own use, or for family members with whom I would like to share lenses. In any case, even if you disagree that the writing was on the wall the moment they introduced the ZX-50, the *istD and its green-button compromise have been with us for TWO years now, which means it's not news either.