From: Mark Roberts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:28 AM
To: pentax-discuss@pdml.net
Subject: Re: Camera engineering (was Re: Rename request)

"Mark Erickson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Anyone here with manufacturing engineering background care to actually
>make some estimates?  Say in the number of engineering hours, broken
>down into design, development, integration, and test?

I have a little background in this area, having worked in the Components
Engineering department for an electronics manufacturer. I won't give exact
estimates but I will say that anyone who's never worked in the business has
no idea how zealously cost reduction is pursued. The design engineers count
every part that goes on a circuit board, regardless of cost, and strive to
reduce the number of part placements (even though these placements are
performed by lightning-fast robotic equipment). Every part placement
contributes just a fraction of a cent to overall cost, but it's counted.

Selection of the parts themselves is scrutinized thoroughly. I had a friend
who was a sales rep for HP Semiconductor (before it was spun off to become
Agilent Semiconductor... and when they still *had* field sales
reps) who told me that a *half cent* per component price difference could
decide whether he won or lost a bid.

In addition to the cost of the part itself, there are also any other parts
associated with it. One voltage regulator I.C. might require three external
resistors and two capacitors to function, while another may require six
resistors and one capacitor. So besides considering which I.C. is cheaper,
they figure in the cost of the external components. Capacitors are generally
cheaper than resistors, but the cost varies with value so the one that
requires two capacitors *may* still be cheaper... for some designs, but not
necessarily for others. Then the cost of the extra component placement is
figured in.

Components that have to be hand-placed are anathema: Any engineer who puts
one in his design will have to justify it to high levels of management. Trim
potentiometers are to be avoided if at all possible. Potentiometers and
electromechanical devices in general are to be avoided wherever possible.
(Simply from a manufacturing standpoint, I have concluded that the existence
of the potentiometer alone in the old Pentax K-mount makes its return in the
21st century a complete
non-starter: You can stick a fork in it, it's done.)

The scary part to me is that the company I worked for was in a much less
competitive business segment than mass-market consumer goods (they enjoyed
profit margins on each product that Pentax, Canon, Nikon can only *dream*
of). In Asian electronics manufacturing plants I have no doubt that they're
even more fanatical than the environment in which I worked.

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing