Just in time manufacturing is correct. An order is placed, when enough orders are piled up a run is made to fill those orders. The product is shipped to the Phillipines where the distribution center ships to the dealers (nothing goes to the distributors, nothing sits in warehouses). This is Pentaxes current distribution plan.

The only distributors that may stockpile stuff are those that are not owned and operated by Pentax, but most of those seem to be dropping items like they are hot potatoes.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Gonz wrote:

I've heard and seen the opposite. B&H, Adorama, and others cant seem to keep them in stock, and they are selling at new prices. I dont think Pentax is building them fast enough, or they are using some type of just in time manufacturing scheme to avoid oversupplying the lenses and having excess inventory. I also suspect that they are attempting to replace many of their lens line with a DA line to better fit the digital market, witness the 14mm DA, 16-45DA, 50 2.8 macro DA, 100mm macro DA, various 18-xxx DA zooms, and the upcoming 12-24 DA, which I really want! Try bidding on a FA 50 1.4 lens on ebay, I've seen them sell for more than new! Scan some previous threads discussing this insanity. I think Don pointed out a K24mm2.8 that sold for a ridiculous amount recently.

rg

J. C. O'Connell wrote:

The K/M lenses are high priced on ebay?
Have you looked at new lenses from pentax
cost. They sell for less than new cost,
substantially less. I think your assumption
that they are all going on DSLRS is not
warranted, wheres the proof? That would
fall into the "unknown" category in my
opinion. But one thing is certain, there
will be even more demand for then if and when
pentax comes out with and upgraded DSLR
that supports ALL bayonet FF lens features including
K/M lenses.
jco