It seems that the FA* 300mm f/4,5 is a different optical formula than
the previous F* 300mm f/4,5 so it is probable that the older lens is
better. Still I do not want to be misunderstood - the FA* is a very
good lens and I found it only slightly inferior to some other optics
in its class. Like I said the centre is as good as it gets. I am
myself a great fan of Japanese lenses and do not need to be converted.
As for East European lenses - and I am myself from Eastern Europe -
there is no doubt about their low price+inferior performance
combination. Do remember that when you speak of "East European"
lenses the choice of the country of origin is very limited: those
must be either Russian/Ukrainian or East German. The former are still
in production whereas the latter aren't since this country
disappeared some time ago. Some do offer excellent value for money,
but definitely not in the class of telephotos - although there used
to be a "Yashma" 300mm f/2,8 Apo in Nikon F mount which used to cost
an equivalent of about 200 US dollars and offered decent performance.

"Cameron R. Hood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> napisał / wrote:

> Jarosław Brzeziński wrote:
>
> 'Unfortunately those are in different mounts - even among Japanese
lenses
> the Canon and Nikon AF 300mm f/4s are superior to the Pentax
objective.'

>     So why do we have tales of C & N users having the mount
converted in
> order to use the F* 300 4.5? Mine is so razor sharp at pretty much
all
> apertures that it has become my favorite lens, and I doubt if even
the
> mighty Zeiss has come up to it's lofty standards. And 1/3 rolloff
in the
> corners wide open? I've seen worse in the pages of National
Geographic.