On 24 Sep 2005 at 22:16, Patrick Pritchard wrote:

Not at the same time.  I'm simply pointing out a fact: if you buy a
DSLR now, you are "locked down" to that DPI, regardless of what comes
out in the future.

There comes a point in resolution when scanning film that all you're doing is resolving more emulsion defects too. At 2820ppi, I can see the grain clearly in ASA 100 film. Most of the benefit from 3000 ppi upwards is in grain imaging, rather than actual picture quality. At 4000-5000 ppi, ASA 400-800 film no longer shows grain aliasing. There's very little point to going much beyond that from what I've seen.

With a digital camera, yes, you're locked to that resolution. Which, if it meets your printing needs, is all you need. You never have to worry about grain.

Godfrey