Sunday, September 25, 2005, 8:58:31 PM, Godfrey wrote:
GD> On Sep 25, 2005, at 9:14 AM, mike wilson wrote:

>>> There comes a point in resolution when scanning film that all
>>> you're  doing is resolving more emulsion defects too. At 2820ppi,
>>> I can see  the grain clearly in ASA 100 film. Most of the benefit
>>> from 3000 ppi  upwards is in grain imaging, rather than actual
>>> picture quality.
>>
>> There's a contradiction in that last sentence.

GD> How so? Please explain.
GD> I'm interested in seeing the photograph, not the grain.

Well, in order to avoid grain aliasing, which is what you are most
probably seeing in 2800 DPI scans, you would have to sample at a
higher DPI. That said, I have seen grain aliasing at 4000 DPI with
most films, which is the highest I have scanned a neg :-( Even though
about all the film detail might be resolved in the 4000 DPI scan, the
grain is still in the way because of it aliasing with the CCD, as far
as I understand it.

Good light!
           fra