William wrote:

"That has more to do with Canon's manufacturing prowess than anything else.
Pentax is a small company with limited resources."

Canon is a large company willing to put unlimited resources into buying
whatever market they choose to go after".

REPLY:

Very unlikely in my opinion. I think it has more to do with market position.
Pentax don't think they can sell a high-end DSLR at present because the
customer base simply isn't there. It doesn't really matter that it is ever a
bit as good as any Canon. It basically is down the prospect of making money,
not technology. Note that hardly anyone challnge Canon at present but that is
not because Sony, Matsushita, Samsung and of course Pentax Olympus and the rest
don't have the money. This is, however, expected to change.
However, what Pentax have been saying, and what is apparently their strategy,
is that they need a user base of DSLR's first. This user base start with the
*istD's in all their variations (Pentax seem to consider them they "same"
camera so that all *ist cameras are *istD replacement of some sort). From then
on they will make successively higher-end bodies thereby creating an upgrade
path for their existing DSLR users.
The MF DSLR is another matter for another market segment.

Pål