I have a D and with NiHMs the behavior is quite stable, the camera works perfectly until the voltage falls low enough then it simply shuts down. The only time I've had it become wonky was in extreme cold conditions, then it behaved very strangely and then shut down, the batteries were far from exhausted after they warmed up.

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Sounds like the D's behavior under low-voltage is quite different from the DS. All I can tell you is that I've had no problems at all, taking exposures right up to the point where the camera literally shuts down from lack of power.

Godfrey