On 21/11/05, William Robb, discombobulated, unleashed:

>Lots of people shoot from the hip, where they have preset focus and
>exposure, and depend on their feel for the situation to know what the camera
>is pointing at.

FWIW, all the pics on this page were shot with the mirror of my digi
locked up:

<http://www.cottysnaps.com/snaps/photoessays/essays/hip.html>

First press on the shutter release locks the mirror up (on approach to
subject), the second press and hold of the release fires the shutter (at
the subject), then removing the finger from the release button allows
the mirror to return to rest position (departing from the subject).

This is the quietest way I can do it....

HTH

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__