Glen wrote:

> At 01:35 AM 11/25/2005, Ann Sanfedele wrote:
>

> > > FWIW, your picture wouldn't qualify as a nature print in our club and
> > interclub competitions.
> >
> >And even with digital, a nature stock agency won't
> >take manipulated stuff... at least mine won't.
>
> If all that was done, was to remove a single vapor trail from an otherwise
> perfect sky, how on earth will the stock agency, or anyone else for that
> matter, ever know about the retouching? Even if they did know, I don't see
> why they would care at all. (This is assuming a flawless retouching job was
> done.)
>
> take care,
> Glen

Well I'm not thinking so much about a jet trail in
the sky when I'm talking about
stuff for a nature stock agency that sells a lot
of stuff to Scientific publications.
I will say that I think (maybe I'm wrong) that
anyone who is really photoshop savvy
(not me) can probably instantly tell if something
has been "cleaned up" extensively.

It isn't that working on images in photoshop is
inherently evil, just that it is
more interesting and impressive if you know what
you are looking at hasn't been worked over
in either the darkroom or photoshop.

Otoh, I do like to "play" in photoshop and do
totally abstract stuff and such, making
entirely different things out of what started as a
photo or a scanned piece of fabric
or the like.  I'm not very good at it, but I think
it is fun, much as I thought it was
fun to make paper negs in the darkroom and
solarize stuff even played with double exposures
and such - but it is all like a tour de force of
technique
and not much to do with substance.

I want to capture what I saw and point to it with
my prints or jpgs, so there is no joy
in it for me if I were to be out in the field
shooting and thinking "well, I wish that
guy in the red jacket wasn't there but, oh hell, I
can take him out in photoshop."

What I do like about the computer is the priints i
get from just my old 820 Epson in
color and the way the color stuff of mine I like
the best looks on the screen.

I don't think the medium is the message, and
someone mentioned that what mattered was
the skill or talent or whathaveyou of the
photographer, not whether or not that person
is shooting digital, using a toss away camera,
shooting with a large format or a polaroid sx-70.

so there :)
ann