Bob Sullivan wrote:

Jack,
My understanding is that RAW gives you more shades of colors in eachpixel and
more opportunity to adjust colors in post production, butjpeg or RAW, you still
have 6 million pixels to work with...no more,no less.  So I look on RAW as just
a way to get better post processedimages, not anything to improve resolution.

Like someone else pointed out, is not RAW *as such* that gives you more colours - but the current format used by Pentax does, at least when compared to JPEG. Apart from that the main "feature" of JPEG files, is that they use lossy compression, meaning that actual data is thrown away in order to conserve space. That data supposedly represents "unimportant" information, but you may still see it as some of the 6M pixels being lost in the compression stage. And yes, there are "quality levels" in JPEG, but even quality 100 does not mean it's lossless. Yes, this has been mentioned many times before, but...

- T