On Dec 13, 2005, at 11:21 AM, David Oswald wrote:

While on the topic of lenses, I have a love hate relationship with my 16-45. I love it because it's so good that I don't get that feeling of "I wish I had taken that shot with a prime." I hate it because it is so good that I can't seem to justify buying standard and wide primes within its zoom range. It is the only thing standing between me and a 35mm f/2, a 20mm f/2.8, or a 14mm f/2.8.

For me, the DA14/2.8 is a different order of beast at the wide end ... I find it a better performer than the 16-45 with nicer image rendering, and its better corrected as well.

I wasn't happy with the bulk and weight of the 16-45 and replaced it with the FA20-35. Much lighter and more compact, even better performance from my testing (particularly on rendering). It replaces the 20-35mm range of primes almost entirely for me, but I also have the FA35/2 AL. Two stops more speed is worth it, and the FA35 is an incredibly high quality lens. It's nearly as good as the FA31/1.8 at one-third the price, and is smaller and lighter than either the FA31 or the DA16-45 in the bargain. That was worth the price of admission. :-)

Godfrey