No a digital camera could be a flagship for 20 years - unless the CCD,
computer, storage, and viewscreen could be swapped out easily.  Because of
the way digital technology is, a LX Digital would be obsolete in 3 years,
and a relic in 8 years, and a useless brick at 20 years unless the digital
components could be upgraded every few years.  And if you are going to make
it like that, you might as well release a 35mm film module making the
camera a hybrid in a way.  It's an interesting idea, almost what Pentax
might be thinking with the MZ-S and it's digital twin.  Instead of a camera
that can be converted from film to digital and vice versa, you have two
bodies - one for film and the other for digital - that can share all their
accessories and lenses.

Todd

At 06:01 PM 7/24/01 EDT, you wrote:
>     If Pentax is indeed going to produce an updated LX I can only assume
>that it will be the ultimate flagship for the next TWENTY YEARS!  And if
this
>is the case, the new ultimate flagship will be / HAS to be a digital
camera!
>Pentax simply can NOT afford to produce TWO professional quality film based
>cameras at the same time they are introducing the new digital flagship!
>Further, the updated LX and the new digital flagship would be aimed at the
>SAME target audience - the high end professional!
>     Anyone out there planning on purchasing BOTH an unpdated film based LX
>AND the new digital flagship camera?
>     The new updated LX would be the flagship of Pentax's digital line of
>cameras!
>     The new MZ-S would be the flagship of the film based line of cameras!
>     Two professional-quality camera bodies heading up two entirely
different
>camera lines!
>     Any thoughts on this reasoning?  Or am I being WAY too logical here?
:->