"Has anyone else had this experience from Adorama recently?"

Yes, but not quite this bad. Unfortunately, to get anywhere in such a situation you do really need to call.

And when you call, don't let them tell you it is on backorder. "On backorder" is a meaningless designation that they use as a customer sop. I have seen the designation applied to new lenses that they have not yet gotten their first shipment of (like the DA 40 last spring). Call and be firm. Demand a real answer, not a canned one.

KEH had several used FA 50 macros last time I looked.

Joe