Hello,
I have recently become a Pentax M-series collector... on a budget. I have
made some very nice purchases and some less successful, so I will be using
this forum as a resource to try to transform some of my parts cameras into
working collectables (see recent post on 2 MGs).

My latest buy is an MX advertised as used working condition, but when I
tried it the mirror sticks up at speeds of 1/60 and less. At 1/125 and up
everything seems OK.
I believe I read somewhere that there are separated mechanisms involved for
these speed ranges which would seem to give an idea of where to start
looking. What are the first things to check, and what are the chances of a
generally mechanically competent beginner to solve the problem?

A second observation is that the light meter LEDs are unstable, like a dirty
or loose connection perhaps. They seem to indicate a reasonable reading and
respond normally to the speed and f-stop adjustments - then they flicker a
bit. If I tap the camera with my hand that seems to set them off. Any ideas
on what I should check/clean/tighten?

I also have an ME F with the original SMC Pentax AF 35-70/2.8 lense, which
does not do any of the AF things they are supposed to do... but that's
another project for another post.

Thanks again,
Grant H