Shel Belinkoff declaimed:

>  A long tele lens is the mark of an amateur as it
> indicates a fear of getting close to the action,

Tongue-in-cheek, I know.  So, in the same spirit, I offer:

In my line a fear of getting close to the action is the mark
of a seasoned professional.  Amateurs will crowd the barrier.
The first time a piece of carbon fiber (if you are lucky) or
metal (if you aren't) starts heading your way at 240mph you
learn that you can't duck behind a barrier any faster than
gravity will let you.  I'll let the front line take the first
hit, while I'm standing behind them, at least partly protected.

The single silliest thing I saw was at Long Beach.   This is a
temporary street circuit, so a lot of the track is lined with
Jersey barriers.  I saw a couple of photographers standing by
one of these barriers, with their feet in the six-inch gap
between the barrier and the regular street kerb (or curb).
Fortunately no car ran into the barrier, or they'd have found
out that a high-speed impact can shift those barriers back!

--
John Francis  .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .   .  (650) 429-4427
MyWay.com       444 Castro St.  Suite 101,    Mt. View,   CA  94041

Hello.  My name is Darth Vader.  I am your Father.  Prepare to die.