Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> In a message dated 1/23/2006 4:19:02 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> >As for the rest, I think you underestimate the power of your own voice.
> >The person who started this thread said he had read that Pentax was in
> >financial difficulties.  How many other people have read one of Herb's
> >posts and believed it?  According to Herb's prognostications, Pentax went
> >bust six months ago.
> ========
> Actually, a lot of negative talk on this list, doubts about Pentax's
> survival, agonizing over the next camera upgrade, and the delayed release of
> a DSLR,
> etc. is partly why I switched to Canon a couple of years ago. It wasn't the
> only reason, but it definitely was a factor.
>
> Of course, there are fewer negative commentators on list now. Most of them
> switched to another brand and left.
>
> Marnie aka Doe ;-) Strangely, I like it here.

I think that there are three groups of customers. Happy ones, unhappy but silent
ones, and unhappy and vocal.

You want lots of the first group, because they keep coming back to buy more from
you. You want as few of the second because they go away, grumble, tell their a
few of their friends but not you, and you never know until it is too late.

The third are the most valuable. They give you an indication of what to do to
make your company better and grow. Each unhappy-vocal customer must be worth
dozens of happy ones. PDML, besides the entertainment afforded by bizarre flame
wars, is good reading because there are articulate U-V's posting their thoughts.
As long as the complaints are deeper than "I like blue instead of green lenses"
(oh, wait, that was me).