From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Date: 1/31/2006 11:46:28 AM
Subject: RE: PESO: (Panorama Ever So Often)

I understand Shel's unhappiness here, but I found Jens' panorama quite

interesting and well done. And I believe it's perfectly appropriate to
offer it as a PESO. Those who wish to view it will do so. Those who would
prefer not to look at it. won't. But I think it's wrong to dismiss it as
"junk." It's not junk. It's the same view one would have if one stood in
the road and turned 360 degrees in order to take in the full landscape.
It's a photograph, although a new type of photograph that depends on the
availability of certain technology. I don't think digital photographic
exploration should be reduced to the lowest common denominator: i.e. don't
do it if it requires any new technology to implement. Broadband and java
aren't exactly day after tomorrow. They're in general use by a large
majority of internet users.
Paul

From: "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I don't understand the point of what you're doing.  It would be simpler

have a panorama that one could scroll through, left to right. It seems

like

an exercise in technology more than anything else.  Speaking for myself,
the viewing experience is awful and not at all satisfying.

This thing that you've done takes forever to download on a dialup
connection, requires plugins that, obviously, some people don't have, or
which are not up to date, plus, Java dumps a bunch of hidden files onto

the

user's computer.  Most people may not know that, and some may not want

that

(I certainly don't) for any number of reasons.  I know where they are

and

clean out the files every now and then, but others may not have that
knowledge.

While I'm sure you don't care one way or the other, but I won't be

viewing

your panoramas again.  It's quite possible a number of other people

won't

see your good work because the technology to view the files limits or
excludes them for doing so.