I've recently taken a lot of photos in cloudy conditions, particularly in early morning light, and had a fair amount of trouble getting a realistic colour balance. That may be more to do with the morning light than the cloudy conditions but I tend to think that it is a bit of both.

I didn't have much luck altering the camera settings to, easily anyway, get a realistic colour balance. Now I shoot RAW and adjust the balance later.

Note that I am aiming to get the image to resemble what I see (or saw) fairly closely. Peterson may not be dong that.

BUT I don't profess to be expert on colour balance issues!

Keith McG

Charles Wilson wrote:
Dear All,

I have just been reading Bryan Peterson's recent book Understanding Digital Photography. It is an excellent read and I would highly recommend it. In one part of his book he recommends setting the white balance on the camera to cloudy +3 . His reasoning for this is it gives his pictures a lot more warmth and its like shooting Kodak E100Vs in the fact it gives a lot of saturation.

His chapter certainly got me thinking and i thought I might give it a go with my ist D. But I would be interested on other members of the group opinion on this and to know if anyone has tried it.

Regards

Charles Wilson
Sydney Australia