On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 01:51:16PM -0800, Juan Buhler wrote:

> It would be nice if the whole industry standarized with DNG or
> something, but i's not like manufacturers are trying to keep people
> from reading their camera's files.

Funny you should mention that ...

Nikon, in the D2H, have taken to encrypting some of the
metadata in their RAW files.  While it's a pretty lame
attempt at encryption, easy enough to get around if you so
choose, Adobe have specifically stated that they would not
do so.  While Nikon are not the only company to apply some
form of encryption or obfuscation to their metadata, this
is the most blatant attempt to limit just who is allowed to
read those raw files.

There's at least one school of thought that says an attempt
to decrypt the data without an explicit licensing agreement
with Nikon would render you liable to prosecution under the
terms of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act.  While Adobe
would almost certainly have no difficulty getting a license,
should they choose to do so, there's no guarantee that any
such licence would be available to me as a private developer
(except, possibly, under terms requiring me to use a private
API, specified by Nikon, and limiting my use of the RAW data
to the capabilities provided by that API).

That's an attempt, by Nikon, to assert ongoing rights to the
content of a RAW file taken by me on a camera I own.  I see
this as analogous to Nikon insisting that Nikon chemicals be
used to develop any film exposed in Nikon bodies.