To: <pentax-discuss@pdml.net>
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2006 8:27 PM
Subject: Lenses for 645D?

Here's something I am idly thinking about. I have not used medium format, except for a very old Rolleicord TLR that I bought used in 1967 and last used in 1991.

By reputation, the very best 35 mm. lenses are said to be sharper than corresponding medium format lenses because they have to be (i.e., to get good image quality in the smaller negative). For the reason given in the first paragraph, I don't know this personally. It is just something I have read.

But if MF lenses are less sharp than 35 mm. lenses, I wonder if existing MF lenses will be good enough for a digital sensor? As we know, some lenses that do well (or okay) in 35 mm. do not perform so well on APS-C. Will 645D buyers need new lenses?

Any thoughts?

Joe