I have a script which, AFAIK, can be called by an action and used in a
batch process.  Unfortunately, I don't know if it can be used with such
early versions of Photoshop and Elements.  If interested, let me know
off-list, and I'll send the script to you.  One thing, though - it places a
border around the image,  the size of which can be adjusted.  You also need
some very basic understanding of scripts in order to adjust the
signature's placement and density, but, if i could figure it out in a few
minutes, I'm sure you, or anyone else could, in about 1/2 the time.

You might also consider joining Adobe's User-to-User forums for help on
such matters.  http://www.adobe.com/support/forums/main.html

Shel