Hi Rob,

Not only does it align the images it also creates high and low pass filters and removes islands. The program is maintained by the author who is a member of the Microscope Group to which I subscribe. This software is not as easy to use as Helicon Focus, but once mastered it can do much more. I use it mainly for combining up to 100 or so images done at very high magnification in the microscope where depth of focus can be a micrometer or less. The program comes with a set of macros which can be tweaked to suit individual images, but the defaults handle 99% of mine. The beauty of this program is one can talk to the author if there is a problem and he can usually solve it in a few minutes.

The subject has to be dead still for the duration of the experiment. But Alan is working on a 'plugin' to make through focus 'movies.' These would be very useful in the microscope. I use a modified webcam for this, but the resolution is limited to 640 x 420. Using the *ist D they could be made at much higher resolution -- for low magnification work of course. A 640 x 420 image will image lines 180 nanometres apart using high NA objectives so there is no need for more pixels (they would be a nuisance) until you get down to 10X and 20X objectives.

CombZ is free as you may know. Pick it up at:

http://www.hadleyweb.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/CZ5/combinez5.htm

and let me know how you get on. Alan is one of the real experts in this field.

Don