> fra: Bob Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> On Feb 15, 2006, at 12:06 AM, Gonz wrote:
>
> > I actually believe that isolationism in the form of boycotts has
> > the opposite effect intended.  I.e. buying Chinese goods actually
> > helps them move toward more freedom because of the injection of
> > capitalistic ideas into their cultural fabric.  This helps break
> > down some of the extreme forms of repression we have seen in the
> > past.  The chinese government of today, while still totalitarian,
> > is a long way from the days of old under the control of Mao and his
> > cronies.  They were quite isolated back then, much like North Korea
> > is today.
> >
> So let's all go out and buy North Korean goods?

In some ways Yes, but it\s a complex situation. If at least a little bit of the
money comes in the hands that need them maybe we should.  There's always the
possibility that a boycot hurts the poor but not the rich.

Remember that some countries, like North Korea, want isolation.  They do not
want influences from rich, democratic countries. That's one reason why many of
them have restrictions on visitors.

In 1987 I visited the Sovjet Union, especially Caucasus, Georgia and Tblisi,
and we had some discussion regarding what impression we, the rich people from
the west, made on the locals when we handed out cigarettes, pens, chewing gum
and other small gifts.  I felt uncomfortable with the situation, but to the
local children we were like Santa Claus. They showed us the way back to the
hotel and they got lots of small gifts.  I dont think it fitted very well into
the local propaganda were people from the west were evil...

DagT