Fra: Mark Erickson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 28. februar 2006 18:29
Til: pentax-discuss
Emne: Poor FA* lens sales

Here are my reasons why FA* lenses might have been poor.  First off, the FA*
lenses were intended to hit "professional grade" specs such as the F2.8
28-70 and 80-200 zooms, big fast telephotos, etc.  Pentax never shipped a
body that matched them and met similar "professional grade" specs.  Their
top body was the (P)Z-1p, which did not match the EOS-1 or F-4.  When the
EOS-1 was replaced with the EOS-1n and later the EOS-1v and the F-4 was
replaced with the F-5, Pentax had no answer.  Canon and Nikon also added
IS/VR and USM/AFS features to their lenses to improve their performance.  In
addition, Canon and Nikon provide professional level services at, for
example, sporting events.  The result is that Canon and Nikon are viewed as
having "professional grade systems" while Pentax does not.

Regarding total sales, I have to believe that most "professional grade"
lenses  are sold to pros, "wanna-be" pros, and rich folk who want to look
like pros.  Compared to their numbers, how many dedicated Pentax enthusiasts
are there with enough money to buy FA* glass?  My guess is not many.

 --Mark