On 1 Mar 2006 at 20:57, Kenneth Waller wrote:

> Not to be argumentative -
>
> > They definitely have a different feel to an SLR,
> Agreed
>
> >you can see outside the taking frame,
> but it's what in the frame that I'm interested in

For street shooters or anyone working close in knowing what's happening just
outside the finder can be advantageous.

> >there is no blanking of the finder as the shot is
> > made
> I don't see how this is a concern, once you've pushed the release, you've
> decided that's what you want

At least you know what happened just after you released the shutter,
expressions can change in an instant.

> >the finder view has an air of familiarity as it always remains the
> > same magnification regardless of the FL of the lens.
> but again, its what's in the frame that I'm interested in

Range-finders are generally used over a fairly limited range of taking FLs, so
it's very easy to preview the scene in your mind, the finder allows you to
focus and trim framing.

> I can see a rangefinders being more natural photographic equipment in that
> they are closer to the "original/first" camera

They are great for certain purposes like close in with people, they are easy to
use and generally quiet and unobtrusive, but I wouldn't go out shooting close-
ups of polar bears in nature with one. :-)

Rob Studdert
HURSTVILLE AUSTRALIA
Tel +61-2-9554-4110
UTC(GMT)  +10 Hours
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Pentax user since 1986, PDMLer since 1998