I really wish someone would do the 21x28mm format I proposed with the
sensor technology available now. I think it would be a very good
balance in cost and quality. The FoV numbers are pretty nice too,
with given lenses.

Generally less waste of available lens coverage too.

Yep. Of course, square (28mm x 28mm?) would be even less waste; you could then crop to 4:3 or 3:2 or stick with square. No real disadvantage, except being a larger sensor that means lower yield and higher cost... but then, we're already talking larger sensors :) I guess the best use of coverage would be a circular sensor, but thats just silly :)

I wonder though with a 28mm sensor, if we're moving it by 5mm in each direction to achieve stabilization, how many 35mm have good coverage on a 38mm wide rectangle? I can't imagine any DA lenses doing it (well, the 40 might), and certainly on any 35mm lens could result in softer edges or even vignetting where it wasn't seen before. Can always compensate by stopping down I guess, but that reduces the benefit of stabilization in the first place....

Love, Light and Peace,
- Peter Loveday