I think you're making a couple of very questionable assumptions.

First, and most important - the new camera will in no way be based
on the *ist DS.  You might just as well say it will be based on the
*ist-D, as it has two control wheels (and, most believe, will have
an accessory grip).  That wouldn't be true, either, but it's at
least as accurate as saying it will be based on the DS.

Secondly, you won't be paying more for a D (with compact flash) than
for the new camera - Pentax have made it pretty clear that the new
body will be aimed at a price point above the D (and way above the DS);
I expect it to cost around the same as the D200 - maybe a little more.

SD cards are beginning to get almost as cheap as CF cards, and are
already available in 2GB (and even 4GB) sizes.  By the time the new
camera gets to the stores I expect the difference in price between
CF and SD will be negligible, and that higher capacities will be
available.

I wouldn't want more than 4GB on a single card, even with RAW files
of 20GB or so (which is what I'm anticipating for the new camera).
And by now I'm not sure it makes sense to buy Microdrives - I got a
couple of 2GB CF cards a while back, and retired my Microdrives.

Finally - if you're shooting RAW, there's very little to choose
between a D and a DS.  The DS has a larger rear LCD screen (and
the DS2 has one even larger), and a better four-way controller.
Other differences are mostly in the ergonomics - the DS only has
a single control wheel (vs. the two on the D), and has different
things available directly via dedicated buttons (as opposed to
being set via menu settings).  The later cameras also have a
larger buffer (and write to the memory cards much faster), and
can visually show highlight warnings superimposed on the display.

There are, supposedly, some differences in the default settings
for JPEG conversion - I haven't been able to confirm this myself.