>>Okay, call me a total moron but I thought the FA* lenses had plastic
>>barrels. A camera store I stopped by today had the FA* 300/4.5, all metal.
>>Are all the FA* (ie- 24/2; 28-70/2.8; etc) lenses metal? Thanks for
>>answering, sorry it's a stupid question... :)
>
>It's true for 24/2. and 85/1.4. Not sure about others.

The 28-70/2.8 has a metal outer barrel.  This lens is not an IF design, so
it has an inner barrel which holds the front lens elements.  The inner
barrel, which extends and rotates as the lens zooms and focuses, is plastic
(including plastic threads).

The 80-200/2.8 is metal.  This lens is an IF design.  I haven't actually
handled any of the "big glass" FA* lenses, but they must be made of metal as
well....

--Mark