On 3/21/06, Markus Maurer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi Frank
> How do you decide if you use your Leica, the Pentax LX or the Pentax
> Spotmatic? That's the ones I saw mentioned with your PESO, I'm quite sure
> you got even more cameras?
> I found out, that being in sentimental mood I use the older cameras like the
> ME Super and now the Spotmatic F a lot more.
> The some weeks ago purchased Spotmatic F also got a lot of use lately
> because of the 85mm SMC Takumar 1.8 and I just love the built quality and
> handling.
> greetings
> Markus

Okay, here's how I do it:

For general "street" photography (ie:  my walking about town camera)
or for situations where small and compact is preferred and I don't
want to carry around a big zoom or a camera bag, then it's the Leica
CL.  It's quite pocketable, it's innocuous looking, very quiet,
extremely quick to use, and picture quality is of course second to
none (like that matters...  <LOL>).  I probably take about 75% of my
photos with it.

I'll also use the CL for travel situations where space is at a premium.

Any situation where a lens other than "standard" one is required (ie:
focal lengths other than 40 or 50mm, faster than f2.0), then I'll need
one of my Pentax k mount SLRs.  Usually that's going to be the LX.  If
there's a possibility that I'll be shooting flash or long-exposure
low-light shots, it's definitely going to be the LX.  If I want to be
using two bodies, then it's definitely going to be the LXen, since I
prefer using two of the same type of bodies simultaneously, so I don't
have to think when I switch.

The MX is the choice when I might want to use a zoom (for instance) or
something other than "standard" lens, but don't need a flash.  I often
use it for "tourist" shooting, as it's small, light, quiet, but will
accomodate a zoom (which my Leica won't).  And, of course, I do
sometimes use it with a small 50mm lens on it, just because it's such
a joy to use.  I just don't usually use it for the street, due to it's
silver colour, but it is fairly quiet and small, so it fits the bill
if I'm in the mood.

My other cameras are more for "fun", although I find myself using my
Yashicamat 6x6 more often these days, especially for a special project
that I've recently started (details of which may be revealed as soon
as this weekend - keep your eyes peeled).

I do like to take the Spotties and Mat out to "exercise" them every
couple of months, and just because I like the feel of them, but I
rarely use them for anything other than fun (with the exception for
the Mat as noted above).

It ain't rocket science <g>, and it may make little sense, but there you go.

HTH,
frank