There are too things involved here. Legality and ethics. Legally you do not have a leg to stand on. It would be a clear violation of the subjects rights, if she chose to sue you she would get about anything she asked for. Ethically, well, how would you feel if you saw some stranger wearing a photo of your wife and kid on his tee-shirt?

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Jerome Reyes wrote:
Guys and Gals,

Someone wants to use an image of mine for a t-shirt. The problem (?) is
that it's a portrait of a stranger and her child (about 1 year old) that I
took about 5 years ago while just walking through a local street fair.
I've contributed nature and animal photos before, put never people shots
(without permission). In short, the question is, can I really sell this
photo for usage without permission from the person in it? I guess I'm
picturing a hilarious (albeit unlikely) event of the person eventually
coming across someone wearing a tee-shirt with THEIR photo on it. How
weird would that be?

Thoughts? Experiences?

     - Jerome Reyes