Hi PUG fans, here are some comments on pictures I was assigned and a couple
of others.

" Christmas at the Cathedral " by  Jaume Lahuerta

This is a wonderful picture, nice balanced composition. The feeling is
almost medieval, especially with the Santa Claus hat on the major figure in
the centre. So much so that I thought it would look better in sepia, so I
converted it to that in PhotoShop, and it looks magnificent. I don't have a
web site yet, but I'd be glad to email a jpeg of the sepia version to anyone
who can't do it him/herself. The graininess is a plus here. The only thing
I'd like to see different is the tree branches at the top replaced by a few
stars. Good picture!

" Memory "  by  Luis Pinar, Argentina

A moving shot of an emotional event. I like the way the wind has caught the
torches. There is a nice circular composition that brings the eye in. If it
has a weakness it's that there is no focus for the activity; I can't tell
what's going on at this moment, as different people are doing different
things. The bright modern window lights at the top are distracting; I
cropped them out but the composition suffered, so I cloned them dim and it
helps quite a bit. This one grows on you, the more you see it the more you
like it.

" Neon Glow " by  William Robb, Canada

I like everything about this abstract/realist picture except, maybe, the
background, which looks like Formica; it's a little fussy for this
minimalist view. This is one of those pictures I wish I had taken; such a
nice, simple idea. You must have tried all sorts of exposures to get this
one. The nicest feature is the little filament at the bottom.

" Night Pipe " by  Jostein Øksne

This is terrific. What makes it work is all that busy action below, then
utter blackness, and then suddenly the bright light and that eerie glowing
smoke or steam. I don't mind a bit that it was fixed in PhotoShop.

" Mars Rising: A Self-Portrait " by  Bill Peifer, USA

The semitransparent guy in this picture makes it great. The bright lights in
the trees are less optimal. But overall this is a neat picture.

" Zero Hour Sky " by  Thomas Cakalic, USA

Fantastic.

J. John Cohen, M.D., Ph.D.
Department of Immunology, MailStop B-184
University of Colorado Medical School
Denver, CO 80262
Phone +1 303 315 8898
Fax     +1 303 315 5967