Though the rep is not employed by the store he is there because of the
store.  The borrowed lens was sent back to the rep at the store's expense.
I would think that the rep (conjecture on my part) would have some gain of
some sort from the store ordering the lens.  It may not be monetary, but
Pentax has to notice that a store in his 'territory' orders lenses, cameras,
and such.

I think the store is competitive in terms of minimal profit on top of their
cost.  They realize they are competing with mail order.  Unlike mail order
that gains from quantity buying and selling below cost and hoping to sell
accessories where the mark up is higher.  I have heard stories of filters
and such being sold in conjunction with the inexpensive camera or lens for
more than twice the price at the retail store.  I am guessing that most
local photo stores make the money in the developing of film and such.

Something I just thought about - the store does not stock primes of any sort
to my recollection, and they deal in Nikon, Canon, and Minolta.  I cannot
fault them for that since that is stock that does not move much these days
with most people going for zooms.  They cannot afford to lay out that much
money and not have it produce for them.

                Just my take on the matter,

                                        César Matamoros II
                                        Panama City, Florida