On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, Rob Brigham wrote:

> I am not saying dont support your indie store, but in this case they
> dont seem to have done anything to justify the extra money and you
> should not have felt obliged to pay an uncompetitive price.
>
> > Cesar writes:
> > > I am paying for the service, the ability of meeting a Pentax
> > > rep, the service of that rep and a hundred other little things that
> I cannot
> > > get from a chain store or mail order.

Well, he added that there were a lot of other little things, too, so it's
not just the rep.  But from what I understand of the situation, the fact
that it was a small store, and that the salespeople probably knew Cesar,
was an important consideration in being able to borrow the lens from the
rep.  A rep is much less likely to lend out an expensive lens to an
unknown customer than they are to one that either they or the salespeople
know.  The store I work in is relatively small, and because of that we can
get to know people very well, and can trust them in situations like
Cesar's.  I imagine it would be much, much harder to establish this
rapport in a large mail-order store, though I've never worked or shopped
in one so I can't say for sure.

So even though it's the rep who lent the lens to Cesar, it's the local
store that likely made it possible.

chris