I shoot RAW exclusively: I learned my lesson back when I was shooting
film. I once shot an event using some cheap, outdated film because I
intended to use the shots for an insignificant web project. Then, a
few weeks after the event, I was asked to write an article about and
provide photos for a regional magazine. The quality was certainly good
enough for *them*, but they definitely looked substandard to *me* (and
would to the people reading this list). Shooting JPEGs is like
shooting with inexpensive film: It's usually good enough.

The extra latitude (in every sense of the word) afforded by shooting
RAW more than makes up for the slow buffer issues with the ist-D and
the conversion time is a non-issue with my workflow - I have an
"automatic mode" that handles everything for me when I'm in a hurry.

The difference between RAW and JPEG is certainly less than that
between good, fresh film and cheap, old film, but I'd still rather
shoot RAW mode and not need it than vice-versa because I've learned
that sometimes a casual shot becomes a money shot after it's too late
to change your mind.