Film, the ultimate RAW format.

Actually, it would probably be more accurate to say "Film, the *first*
RAW format". :)

Actually, I've heard it said that RAW more accurately represents the "latent image" on the film. It doesn't become an image until it's "developed" (whether chemically or via a Bayer interpolation algorithm). Since the chemical process is subject to manipulation, but cannot be redone, there's only one allowable transformation from the "latent image" to the actual image.

Seemed like a good analogy to me.... except that a RAW file can be re-developed with different techniques later.

-Cory