On Apr 27, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Jostein wrote:

Whatever media one choose, it has to be renewed regularly. Question is how often. Every five years seems to be a good number to me. I gravitate towards this because it's a number that has been mentioned for life-time expectancy of both CD/DVDs and for harddrives, and also because I tend to change computers about every five years. When changing computers, chances are that one would hit
the transition period as well, I hope.

In five years at Photographic Solutions, we watched four storage formats arrive, gain popularity and vanish. I still get calls from people who've heard I have a cartridge DVD-RAM drive who want all their data copied.

-Aaron