The size of files created by PEFs (and I suppose some other raw formats)
doesn't seem particularly large or cumbersome, considering that a scanned
color 35mm file is about 140mb or so (Nikon Coolscan, 4000ppi), while a PEF
(from the DS) is only about 10mb, and as little as about 1/2 that if
converted to DNG.  I don't recall people complaining, or commenting, g
about large-sized scanned files as much as they do the smaller RAW files.

Shel