I store all my photos and scans on a dedicated RAID 5 setup. In my case, I built one using a 3ware card, my old PC, a gig-e card and FreeBSD. Today, I'd probably buy something like the ReadyNAS NV. I make backups to firewire disks and store those off-site.

To me, this is the only way to make sure my files survive. Writable optical media cannot be trusted; especially since batches seem to go bad all at once. If one of my drives die, I just feed it another disk and the RAID rebuilds. When the whole thing gets too small (I'm at 1.2 TB), I'll just move it over to the next technology via the network as I did from my old 200GB setup. Great way to recycle your old gear too!

This method keeps the bits "alive" and not on a non-accessible DVD somewhere with questionable status. I can also work with the files directly in PS or C1 and not have to screw around with burning another disk. I'm also then up for using the next-gen software; whether it be aperture or lightroom.

-Ryan