On Apr 27, 2006, at 6:14 AM, Jostein wrote:

... However, from a consumer perspective I think it sucks big time that you have to migrate your archive every five years to maintain your memories. With film, memories could pass down through generations without much maintenance. I can't imagine anyone wanting to propagate my archive every five years when I'm no
longer around. ...

I can re-copy my digital photo archives, losslessy, all 165,000 image files of it, in about an hour and a half easily, with no more effort than setting up the new media and telling the computer to copy it.

My film negatives, carefully archival processed stored in archival sleeves, are deteriorating after 25-30 years. Not to unusable, but it would be difficult to make prints of the quality that could be made from them when they were fresh. Film is fragile and unique, not easily reproducible. I'll take the tradeoffs of digital media any time.

And after I'm gone, well, I figure my interest in the work will likely diminish. It will be someone else's affair as to whether it is worth keeping around.

Godfrey