Hum...? Do you really want to know what I really don't do which is back all images up to DVD, or what I think should be done which is:

1. Store copy on file server with mirrored hard drives and an uninterruptible power supply.
2. Make 2 DVD backup sets.
3. Keep one DVD set on premises
4. Keep one DVD set off premises, like in a safe deposit box.

If you do that and still wind up losing your images, you can claim it is an act of god instead of carelessness.

graywolf
http://www.graywolfphoto.com
http://webpages.charter.net/graywolf
"Idiot Proof" <==> "Expert Proof"
-----------------------------------

Jostein wrote:

Dear gang,

I discovered the "need more storage" thread just now, by looking in the
archives. Long term storage is a hot topic among my friends over here at the moment, but nobody seems to have any "best practice" to point
to.

"Nobody" includes me too :-) but I would very much like to establish a good practice for myself.
So by googling, and some thinking, I've come down to a list of things to
consider. I'm not sure if this is a good list to go by, and would very much
like to hear some opinions:

1. Longevity of storage medium (Hard-drive, DVD, etc.)
2. Longevity of the technology used to access the medium (USB, SCSI, etc.)
3. Longevity of software support for the chosen file format (RAW, TIFF, etc.)

Then there is:
4. Data safeguarding (backup routines etc.)
5. Data availability (access time to a file)
6. Production volume (number of exposures and edit-files)
7. Convenience
8. Cost (both time and money)

By any measure, a solution to cover all this points will be a trade-off
between several of them. Convenience and longevity pull in the same direction, for example, while cost pulls the other way.

So what do you think? And how do you store your precious moments?

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jostein