This one time, at band camp, "Shel Belinkoff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IMO, it's an important issue, and the survey, regardless of the bias,
> may/could  be a starting point for deeper and more valid discussions, as
> well as a possible impetus for changes.

I agree that is is most important, the DNG of Adobe is cause for concern as
manufacturers line up (Hasselblad, Leica, Ricoh, and Samsung) to have thier
camera have the DNG format native to thier bodies.

Along with this software manufactures will need to support
DNG also. But its an open standard so what is the problem? well, the license
from
Adobe stipulates..
"Adobe may revoke the rights granted above to any individual or organizational
licensee
in the event that such licensee or its affiliates brings any patent action
against Adobe
or its affiliates related to the reading or writing of files that comply with
the DNG Specification."

How is that open?? If the format is not under the GPL and the source code not
available, then it is
next to worthless as a universal format.

I have never tried converting from DNG to PEF or other RAW formats, so I cannot
say what sort of losses that
may incur.

Adobe is a large commercial entity, call me synical but these sort of dangling
carrots leave me somewhat
suspicious. If it were truely an open format, why not open source it?

discuss
Kevin