Bob Shell wrote:

> I find that Europeans and people from the UK who have not
> been here generally just don't understand this about the USA.
>  Things are far apart here, and for the most part we don't
> have transportation alternatives.

You're right on the whole. I've had maps out in the past to point this out
to some folk (making the point about the map showing the same scale for each
country) who wanted to make a motoring tour of the USA in a short break....I
now nod and agree, it's much simpler and let them find out on arrival.

Malcolm

PS - What really gets to me is when they return and say 'You wouldn't
believe how big it is'. Aaaargh!