On Mon, 01 May 2006 14:38:45 +0100, Godfrey DiGiorgi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On May 1, 2006, at 2:45 AM, John Forbes wrote:

They say that tight-rope walking over Niagara isn't that difficult - once you pass a certain threshold of resources
and understanding.

Tightrope walking over Niagra Falls is just as difficult as tightrope walking anywhere else. Once you have the skill to walk a tightrope high up in open air, you can do it anywhere. All it takes beyond that is "courage", "insanity" or "stupidity", depending upon the perspective of the person judging you. Few can develop the skill.

It is not comparable to learning how to operate a computer and knowing what to do to move data, which simply takes storage devices, a little time with a book, and a plan to do what is required. Nearly anyone can do it, except for the very incompetent.

And the very busy, who don't have time to learn computer programming from scratch just in order to keep their images updated. Developing your argument, we should all go off like Linus Torvalds and create our own operating systems. And grow our own vegetables, bake our own bread, drill for our own oil.

That's fine for geeks, market gardners, bakers and wild-catters. But not for the rest of us.

John

Godfrey