On May 1, 2006, at 7:22 AM, John Forbes wrote:

It is not comparable to learning how to operate a computer and knowing what to do to move data, which simply takes storage devices, a little time with a book, and a plan to do what is required. Nearly anyone can do it, except for the very incompetent.

And the very busy, who don't have time to learn computer programming from scratch just in order to keep their images updated. Developing your argument, we should all go off like Linus Torvalds and create our own operating systems. And grow our own vegetables, bake our own bread, drill for our own oil.

Learning how to operate a computer has virtually nothing to do with learning how to build and/or program one.

Do you, John, know how to drive an automobile or choose a television broadcast? You must also, then, have mastered the art of designing and manufacturing these devices.

Oh yes:
You took/take pictures on film with a camera. Therefore, you know how to design and manufacture a camera, film, chemicals, enlarger, printing paper, etc etc.

That is what the hyperbole in your logic is saying. That logic is flawed, and is not a development of my argument.

Godfrey