Jostein wrote:

> The cumulative response time (latency) is effectively doubled by this, which
> could affect email transmission. Especially in high-traffic periods.
>
> Routing is in general determined by routing agreements between different ISPs
> and their network operators, which could contribute to explain why the problem
> is different from ISP to ISP.
>
> Jostein

Jostein,

In short: unless the latency time is several (many!) seconds (as opposed to
tens or hundreds milliseconds) mail traffic will not be affected.
If the latency is a few seconds occasionally you can see messages arriving
out of order.
If you can reliably browse american websites, e-mail traffic will not
be affected by the latency time.

In a bit more detail:
1. Packet routing is a dynamic process. Besides, it might not be (and very
often it is not) symmetric, i.e. packets going from you to another
computer could be following a different route from those coming back.
2. If the latency is high, but steady (i.e. doesn't fluctuate wildly),
this should not cause TCP packets being lost
3. SMTP protocol implementation is such that if transmission
is not successful, it will be retried until completed successfully
or until the delay due to retries exceeds some preset time (usual default -
5 days).
4. SMTP protocol (high level protocol used for transmitting e-mails)
uses so-called TCP connection (low-level packet transmission protocol),
which is capable
of retransmitting dropped packets (TCP packets) and reassembling them
in the right order if they came out of order due to mildly fluctuating
latency.
5. Traceroute that you are using to check packet routing has different
implementations and could use different packets (in most cases those are
so-called ICMP packets). Depending on the implementation of the router,
these packets can have much-much lower priority then the TCP packets,
or sometimes could be completely blocked by some ISPs.
So, while usually one can get a rather adequate picture using
traceroute, in some weird cases, such a picture could be irrelevant
to the real situation. I've seen such cases.

As far as I can tell, the response time from your ISP to
the US does not exceed 200-300 ms which is rather standard for
transatlantic connection.

Igor